• If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • You already know Dokkio is an AI-powered assistant to organize & manage your digital files & messages. Very soon, Dokkio will support Outlook as well as One Drive. Check it out today!


Glossary Page W

Page history last edited by Gwen Foss 15 years, 1 month ago


Glossary of Book and Ephemera Terms and Abbreviations


~ Back to Main Page ~



~~~ W ~~~


WAF / waf. With All Faults. A term meaning the book is basically intact but has a great deal of wear and tear which has not been listed in great detail.


waffled. seriously wrinkled.


wallet edge. a type of self-closing binding in which the binding material extends along the entire length of the rear [fore-edge], folds over the fore-edge and closes with a narrow tongue snapped to or inserted into a slot in the front [board].


warbly. [wobbly].


warped. bent or curved; a flaw usually affecting [boards].


washed. evenly colored, usually referring to the edges of the [textblock]. A [topstain] refers to the top washed in a particular color.


washi (Japanese). [rice paper].


water damaged. wrinkled and possibly discolored from dampness or water. If discoloration is present, the item is usually described as [waterstained].


waterstained. discolored from dampness or water, with perhaps some shrinking or wrinkling of the pages or binding. Waterstains exist in degrees from very mild (nearly invisible) to very severe. Compare [water damaged].


wet glass mark. another term for [cup ring]; a circular stain caused by a damp drinking glass or cup placed on the item.


wire photo. another name for [file photo].


Wire-O Binding (brand name). metal spiral binding in which the spiral is visible along each [joint] but is covered by the [backstrip].


wn. worn.


w/o. without.


wobbly / wobbles / warbly. parts are coming loose.


wood engraving. see [engraving].


woodcut. a type of [illustration] made from a carved wooden plate. Invented in China in the 700s, such pictures were common in the earliest books, but were gradually replaced beginning in the 1400s by [copper plate engravings], and later by [steel engravings].


wormed / worming. tiny holes bored unevenly through the binding or [textblock] by insect larva (bookworms). The holes are usually less than (3 mm) 1/8" in diameter and are most commonly seen in books of the 1700s or earlier.


wr / wrs. see [wraps].


wrap-around band. a type of [dust jacket] that is not as tall as the book. Usually a wrap-around band is the same length as a dust jacket but only about a third of the height. Sometimes seen as an additional piece of marketing over a normal jacket. Some small books, such as field guides, are published with only a wrap-around band. Also called half wrapper, demi jacket.


wraps / wrappers. 1. a [softcover] book. 2. the covers of a [softcover] book. Abbreviated wp, wr, wrs, wrps. Not the same as a [dust wrapper].



A ~ B ~ C ~ D ~ E ~ FG ~ H ~ I ~ J ~ K ~ L ~ M


N ~ O ~ PQ ~ R ~ S ~ T ~ U ~ VW ~ XYZ


This glossary was written and compiled by Gwen Foss of Alan's Used Books with thanks to the many independent bookdealers of TomFolio.com



Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.